A comment by minnowspeaks (an egalitarian):
"Then as now my greatest difficulty is with the notion that a loving Creator would purposely gift His creation in a certain way only to insist His creation NOT use the gifts. Such a notion goes against my belief in a loving God as well as the idea that our gifts are meant for the edification of the whole."
1) Complementarians do not deny that all members of the bride of Christ are gifted OR that they should be able to use their gifts within Scriptural limits.
2) Why is it that if a woman cannot use her gifts to teach or lead men, you do not consider her to be using her gifts?
- women are not worth teaching or leading - at least not as valuable as men
- using your gifts is only worthwhile if it involves leading or teaching men.
- women who are using their gifts by leading and teaching women are wasting their gifts.
3) Why is not teaching and leading women part of "edification of the whole"? Are women not part of the whole?
"gifted and kept silent" is a false dichotomy.
I have been a leader and teacher of women. It is rewarding, satisfying and (I believe, although minnowspeaks might disagree) edifying to the whole.
Each part of the body has a function and is honorable. Just because women are not men, does not mean they are not worth teaching and leading.
Women are equally valuable to God and leading and teaching women is an honorable use of the gifts.
Those women who teach and lead women ARE using their gifts. Please do not insult them by telling them that they are not, merely because they are not teaching men.
"Then as now my greatest difficulty is with the notion that a loving Creator would purposely gift His creation in a certain way only to insist His creation NOT use the gifts.
Such a notion goes against my belief in the equality and value of woman - I believe in a loving God who teaches that leading and teaching of women is a honorable and valuable use of my gifts.
(HT: Parchment and Pen)