Teetering between having a few wheat products in the house (no-pudge brownie mix) and going totally wheat free...
I made a single serving of no-pudge brownies (chocolate)...
After having been off of wheat for only 3 days...I'm experiencing a lot of congestion in my nose and throat. Okay...I guess it's confimed.
I tested negative for a peanut allergy...and yet have a very clear allergic reaction. I also tested VERY positive to a number of molds. Is this why? Is this also why I sometimes have the same reaction to wheat? Less often (but it happens) to tree nuts?
Peanut allergy is nearly always an allergy to the mold aflatoxin-as the name implies, a toxin from mold. Plenty of natural substances are toxic. From the USDA Web site (http://snurl.com/36ne): "Aflatoxin is a naturally occurring mycotoxin produced by two types of mold: aspergillus flavus and aspergillus parasiticus." Aflatoxin damages the liver, in both Eastern and Western medical terms, and is a potent carcinogen (something known to cause cancer). This mold is found primarily on peanuts, corn, wheat, soy, tree nuts, oil seeds and sorghum. Aflatoxin is sometimes measurable in milk excreted by cows fed with moldy feed.
I don't know...
It showed up as a "draft" so I deleted the draft...I thought I had posted for real (since Phil twittified).
So here it is again. I have a sensitivity to peanuts and at this point will be more careful about what I eat with regards to peanuts.
I've started a little allergy blog (to keep track of favorite foods without peanuts - or other allergens); I'll link and update here when I get a couple of posts there.
meanwhile, on the appointments front; I have an appointment with an allergist in April for all of those "poke tests". I'll ask to have an inhaler prescribed, since that seems to work best and I'm nowhere near needing an epi-pen.
Besides...this gives Phil another chance to twittify.