A couple of days were an exercise no-go. Shoot one day was a "I-don't-want-to-move" day - a migraine yesterday had me moving between office and bed all day, with a couple of excursions downstairs for food. (I have an electric water-heater-pot and a coffee press - the best way to make coffee - in my office and that's where my 1/2 bath is...so unless I want food I don't have to leave my bedroom/office area.)
I lost 3-1/4 pounds - the first loss in many weeks.
The secret? Lower carb, higher fat - but still following Weight Watchers points. Because of thyroid and PCOS, the needs my body needs are a little different, but I still will not lose while not restricting calories. I went to a naturopath who did NOT give me a formula, but gave me guidelines with which to make my own formula (for those who need formulas)
- 50% of my calories from fat (with the majority coming from "healthy" fat - monounsaturated) - and the fat in eggs (while saturated) is okay so even eggs are unlimited.
- 50% of the volume on my plate coming from fresh or lightly steamed fruits and vegetables
- Take my weight in pounds and eat half that many grams of protein
- The rest of my calories in complex carbs (but never wheat or dairy)
- no wheat or dairy (but I can "cheat" with kefir and yogurt)
- lots of water...half my weight in ounces
There is no limitation on calories...the lower carb, higher protein and healthy fat makes my body burn it differently - thermogenic. The drain yesterday may have been from the shift in my body, but I am eating enough carbs for fuel. The fat and protein guidelines make me put the emphasis on not wasting the complex carbs on "stuff".
What I know is that this works and (knowing from the past how I do even as low as Atkins) my body feels better.
(sigh)...Here is the list of food restrictions (allergy and otherwise)
- peanuts (due to a mold allergy giving me asthma attacks)
- potatoes, eggplants (off the table) and limited tomatoes and green peppers; these are nightshade plants and they cause - in me (YMMV) joint pain)
Another new blog for me!
I set up a little blog just for recipes - most of them have a combination of low-cal, moderate carb.
MzEllen Cooks (sometimes). (I rarely cook in the summer...my son takes over with the grill.)
And here's a recipe: Fast and Easy Chicken in Salsa with Zucchini.