re: Tiger Woods and everything surrounding that mess
- we have ONE man who has slept with women other than his wife.
- we have FOUR women who have slept with a man who is married, and who is not their husband.
Everybody get ready for the roll of the eyes and collectively say, "men are such pigs".
80% of the people fooling around here are women.
- a woman gets caught cheating and her husbands whacks her one. Society (as a whole) tells us "there is never an excuse for violence"
- a man gets caught cheating and his wife whacks him one. Society (as a whole) rolls its collective eyes and says, "duh. He deserved it."
Some ways to critique a sermon:
- How many times is Jesus mentioned?
- is Jesus the subject of the verbs? (Is Jesus the one doing the actions?)
- What are the verbs? Are they the verbs of today's pop psychology or are they the verbs of Scripture?
- What was the problem that the preacher diagnosed. What remedy did he give?
Though the fig tree should not blossom,
nor fruit be on the vines,
the produce of the olive fail
and the fields yield no food,
the flock be cut off from the fold
and there be no herd in the stalls,
yet I will rejoice in the LORD;
I will take joy in the God of my salvation.
GOD, the Lord, is my strength;
he makes my feet like the deer’s;
he makes me tread on my high places.
Hubakkuk 3:17-19 ESV